Overbrushing can wear down the enamel on the teeth and push back gums which ultimately will lead to more sensitivity. You do not need to vigorously brush your teeth to remove plaque, as long as you are consistent and reach all areas of your mouth you will have healthy teeth! You do need to clean along the line where the gum meets your tooth, but overbrushing will wear away the thin top layer of gum, which will not grow back. This exposes a part of your tooth where there is no hard enamel that covers the soft inner tooth layer. This layer known as dentine, will become exposed and leave it vulnerable to tooth decay from the bacteria left from foods. It is important to instead use proper technique to ensure that you do a thorough job while brushing. You may be overbrushing if you are experiencing gum recession, bleeding gums, swollen or red gums after brushing, or frayed bristles on your toothbrush.
Here are some ways to brush your teeth correctly:
- Brush for 2-3 minutes at least twice a day, spending about 30 seconds in each quadrant in your mouth.
- Use a soft bristled toothbrush to prevent gum damage, hard bristles will wear down your teeth. Soft bristles protect enamel surfaces while also gently removing surface stains.
- Don’t brush back and forth, instead use a scrubbing circular motion with soft strokes on each individual tooth.
- Apply just enough pressure to feel the bristles against your gums, but if you are squashing the bristles, you are brushing too hard.
- Change your toothbrush every 3 months, as the bristles will wear down, become frayed and harbor oral bacteria that goes into your mouth each time you brush.
- Brush at a 45 degree angle against the gumline, bacteria usually lays where the tooth meets the gum and this will ensure that you clean underneath your gumline.
Remember, overbrushing will not give you the result that you want. However, if you follow the right techniques you will be able to still effectively clean your teeth! Soft brushing is three times more effective and will protect your teeth and gums.
Your Dental Health
When it comes to your health, trust in the dentists at Dental Made Easy. Dental Made Easy has the best dental practices in New York City and we are open on Sundays as well as late evenings. All of our dental offices are opened and accepting new patients at this time. We are rated among the top dental practices in New York, NY with numerous 5 star reviews on Google, Yelp and Facebook. For a teeth cleaning or exam, we recommend calling or booking an appointment online with one of our talented dental professionals. All new patients may also take advantage of our $149 Cleaning Special that includes an exam and x-rays or our Free Dental Implant Consultation Special.
To set up your appointment give us a call at (844) 979-EASY (3279). We have offices in Rego Park, East Flatbush and Floral Park. Walk-ins welcomed, we take emergencies and we are open on late nights to accommodate patients with a busy schedule. We hope to see you soon!